Monday, October 01, 2012

Giving Thanks Write Now


This is the fifth blog post today. Half way through each one, I metaphorically crumple the paper and toss it in the can. None of them seems right.
It’s not that I’m having a bad day. In reflection, it’s been a good week − a satisfying week. I spent quality time with my two-year-old granddaughter who has a penchant for lipstick and heels. Yes, that was a good day.
In addition, I’ve spent enjoyable hours in the initial editing process on my latest novel. Typing The End at the bottom of the manuscript was a jump up and punch the air kind of feeling.
I also wrote the foreword for Bob McCarthy’s latest book, Voices of Lambton: An Alphabet of Stories. His ninth publication! This week I was delighted to see an attributed excerpt from the foreword in the media to promote his book launch on October 27th at The Book keeper in Sarnia.
Another first for me. Brian Feinblum of Media Connect, a book promotion firm in New York, interviewed me for his blog. For the curious or sincerely interested, the link to my interview is http://bookmarketingbuzzblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/getting-book-publicity-is-conducting.html
Writers should check out this informative blog.
As if my week couldn’t get any better, friends offered me their home to do some intense editing on my novel. They will be vacationing. Okay, another jump up and punch the air kind of moment.
Non-writers probably wonder why this is a big deal. Writers’ retreats are always a big deal and very productive. When you are away from home it’s a different mindset. There are no reminders of our daily routine; nothing to cloud the thought process.
And as if the week couldn’t get any better, I have someone interested in reading my manuscript when it is ready. Now that is definitely an incentive to work my way through second and third drafts.  (It doesn't get tedious until about the seventh draft.)
 
Some days are diamonds.  Some days are stones.  I’m fortunate to have supporters who offer encouragement during frustrating times. My friend, Debbie Okun Hill, reminded me that some writers never get their first books published, or maybe not even the second, but to keep writing and never give up hope. And so I write. When I finish one book, I start another.
Just this moment I realize why the other blog attempts didn’t work for me today. We Canadians are approaching our Thanksgiving. Perhaps that is why I'm dwelling on all that's good.
I'm thankful for each small success for the same reason I celebrate each birthday!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment