Sunday, September 08, 2013

Prepping for Eden Mills Writers' Festival


Three years ago I gave as much thought to being a Fringe reader at the Eden Mills Writers’ Festival as I did to having a granddaughter named Sadie Muffin. Sure that’s her name. Just ask her. But I’m thrilled with both roles. The idea of participating in the festival makes me as happy as seeing Sadie’s infectious smile every Nana day.

At first, I panicked about the actual reading. But as I said to my daughter-in-law, it’s only seven minutes. She then pointed out that when I’m standing in front of an audience seven minutes could seem like a long time. Thanks Monika. That aside, I edited my humorous submission to fit the allotted time and my panic about reading is all but gone.
 
I’m more excited and nervous about the chance of meeting some of my fave authors. I’ve been a fan of Cathy Marie Buchanan since her first book, The Day The Falls Stood Still and I wrote a review of The Painted Girls for Quick Brown Fox. Read it here

Also, though I’ve yet to read Ania Szado’s latest Studio Saint-Ex, I have her first novel Beginning of Was. No doubt, I’ll pick up Studio Saint-Ex with the hope of Ania personalizing it.

Then there’s Linwood Barclay. OMG. Thrillers are where it’s at and Barclay is good. I’m a Lee Child/Michael Connolly/Stephen is King type reader and I’ve added Linwood Barclay to the list of read ’em alls.

Actually, right now I’m engrossed in Barclay’s latest, A Tap on the Window. This morning I was reading it. The vacuum hose lay tangled at my feet. Funny how that happened. I’d left the book in plain view right next to my knitting. One glance in that direction and it looked as if the bookmark was inching towards me. Finally, I dropped the beater bar, scrunched my wool and needles aside, and plopped into my chair. The dishwasher was full, the washing machine had a load ready for the dryer, and there I was lost in a good book. What else is new.

So, there’s no time for me to be nervous about my reading. Right now, my focus is on getting some books signed during my two-day dream weekend and saying hello to my favourite authors.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck in Eden Mills. Break a leg or would it be more appropriate to say break a pencil.
    Bob McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Are you still planning to have a booth on Publishers' Way? I'll stop by to say hi!

      Delete