Friday, December 11, 2020

Tis the Season to Try to be Jolly

 These last few years decorating for Christmas has become less important to me. We generally go to our son’s for a dinner celebration and, since we don’t often entertain, it’s a thankless chore hauling the bins of decorations upstairs to sort and allocate. And then there’s the cleanup process to eradicate the sparkle and glitter off floors and carpets. Only to reverse the whole process a few weeks later. To be honest, I’ve become resentful of this ritual.

Two or three years ago, I gave away our gorgeous large tree. Yes, an artificial tree, but it had beautiful drooping branches and at first glance it looked ‘real’. It was pre-lit so there was no fussing with strings of lights…don’t even get me started. But the tree was extremely heavy and although it was in three pieces, it was an effort to assemble. It was glorious, but for the short time it was up it hardly seemed worth it.

Besides, I also had three tall, skinny trees that I decorated each year. They’re gone, too. I decided that

last year was the ‘last year’ for them as well. I gave them away along with a multitude of ornaments and decorations. Even holiday themed serving dishes were added to the melee of goodies I bestowed on others. Besides, we wouldn’t even be home for Christmas or New Years. We’d made reservations to be at a lodge in the Muskokas. Something we hoped would become tradition. Unfortunately, our plans for a winter holiday – along with everyone else’s – were stymied.

With each grumble of discontent, my husband cuts me off mid-sentence with a rousing rendition of Joy to the World. It cracks me up. And I appreciate laughter during these increasingly trying times.

Where was I? Oh, right, trying to add some festive interest to brighten a housebound holiday. So here I am with a couple of bins of odds and sods of decorations that hubby dragged out from under the stairs and lugged to the main floor. I could go shopping for new decorations but I’m too stubborn to admit my mistake  of getting rid of everything ‘because I wouldn’t need it’. No, I’ll get creative with what I have on hand.

At the bottom of a bin, I discover something that brings back fun memories.

Of all the things discarded, I’d kept a foam Rudolph nose. I know, right? One year, my husband and I wore them to our son’s house for Christmas dinner to the delight of our young granddaughters. And each year, someone ended up wearing one as a joke.

Can you imagine that we exchanged noses with no thought to virus or disease? We were innocents having fun. The thought crosses my mind that our naivety is gone forever and in the future we will each insist on our own Rudolph nose. Sad times.

Moving forward, a wreath and clear glass ornaments decorate the patio doors, while a red tablecloth brightens the dining area, and a basket adorned with colourful ribbon and filled with enormous pine cones sits at the base of a chair.  

Pillow covers featuring dark green cedars add a wintery look to the living room furniture. Yes, I think there are enough seasonal additions to the house to lift my flagging spirits. An assortment of Santa hand towels and some extra candles add Christmas whimsy to the bathroom, and a large cherub blowing a kiss is strategically placed near my desk in the office.

Oh, and I did find a way to use the Rudolph nose this year. I’ll have to send a picture to our
granddaughters.

Enjoy the season, my friends!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment